29 September 2005

California

After some thought over the posting I briefly had up yesterday, I've decided to not discuss work matters on this site until after the election that I'm working on. While I have no false opinions on the fact that this site gets about 2 views a day, I also know how easy it would be for someone to find it if they searched for things related to what I'm doing. So, as not to have anything blow up in my face, I'm going to be blogging to a non-live site on work matters until after November 8th, when the California special election ballot initiatives have been voted on. At that point, I'll be uploading all of my posts on this election, in diary form. Until then, I will be blogging, but on other matters...some of it may be indirectly related to the election, some not.

One thing that I cannot understate is the fact that I'm in California. For work. On an expense account. And it amazes and shocks me that anyone would allow this responsibility to fall to me, especially at the stage of my 'career' that I'm at. I don't know many other people my age that have been given such an awesome opportunity. Being out here is a great experience, and something that I will definitely look back on fondly, regardless of the turnout of the election. The people in this office, while I may not agree with them on professional matters, are good people. They all believe in some roundabout way on the issues that I feel strongly about. They just have different opinions on methods and effective uses of people's time.

Another interesting thing going on out here is the California wildfires, exacerbated by the Santa Ana winds. The Santa Ana winds gust up to 50 mph or so, and strike in the area I'm living. It's pretty crazy to have that large of a gust during an otherwise beautiful day. The weather's been at or close to 100 degrees for the past week, but the winds the past day or two have been up to 40 mph. The fires are just a few miles away, but there doesn't seem to be a fear that they will spread much. So far they've only destroyed one house and killed one firefighter, which seems to be a pretty good thing.

Other than that, work hasn't been too bad. We've finally opened up our phone banks, and hopefully volunteers will start to flow in. The people we are calling are much more receptive to us, especially when we relate to them by telling them we're union volunteers. Yesterday, we identified 315 favorable voters, and only 8 unfavorables...so it's just going to be a matter of reaching out to these people again during GOTV...hopefully that will be enough to defeat this thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home