24 May 2005

drive by proselythizing (sp?)

So my friend Erin and I went to 4 P's (an Irish bar) this evening for happy hour/dinner. We had a few beers, got our food, and noticed the place picking up, a nice crowd for a Tuesday night, and not a typical happy hour crowd of young professionals. All these people were wearing nametags, so we assumed that they were coming from one of the many conferences held daily in Washington DC....not quite.

Up to the stage walks a middle aged gentleman, who, it turns out, is a priest from Catholic University. As the priest (reverend, minister?) stood up there, Erin and I exchanged questioning glances, and then looked around again at the patrons in the bar. Upon closer examination, we noticed that the nametags all had, at the top, the words "Theology on Tap."

It sounds like a joke, really: Two Jews walk into a bar, a priest starts to give a sermon, and a crowd of Catholics stare at the Jews...

We listened as we finished our meal as the reverend spoke about Jesus and letting him into your life. He then introduced a newly ordained priest from Catholic, who began to give a sermon...at this point we had finished our meal, realized we were the only ones in the bar who didn't drop our heads down and pray when the reverend began a prayer, and pretty much got out of there.

Now, I am happy that "Theology on Tap" exists for those that want to partake in it. However, for future reference, 4 P's, please put a sign on your door or let me know when I walk in there that Jesus is at work. I will be happy to let those that want to listen to a sermon while drinking a Guinness to do so. I probably won't stay and watch, but I will happily respect the right of the Theologians to stay and listen. So, for not letting me know what was going on in there, 4P's, you get an F for customer service. But for promoting religion and making my world a happy place, you get a C (I don't really like happiness that much).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home