26 April 2005

BANG BANG

Anybody else concerned about visiting Florida?

I mean, I understand the need for people to shoot each other in the middle of the street, harkening back to the Wild West days. I was in Deadwood for several months, and I've seen Unforgiven. But, really what the fuck?? The NRA pushes Jeb Bush and the Fla state government, and what do we get? People no longer have to attempt to flee an escalating situation in public, and can "meet deadly force with deadly force." Now, I am not a person that wants to see villainous individuals shooting innocents on the streets. However, I forsee fistfights, gang wars and barfights wherein someone pulls a motherfucking gun from their pocket and, in their defense, claims they were acting legally under this law, even though there was no deadly force from the other person. We live in a society wherein there are some bad people, but we should not be reacting in a way that seems like we're moving back to the days of the wild west. The NRA has too much damn power. The second amendment was enacted during the days of militias and in the shadow of the revolutionary war, not in today's society. This is why we need an interpretation of the Constitution as a living, breathing document, not Scalia's reasoning. People having the right to conceal weapons is a problem on its own, but with the NRA taking this as it's number one issue, I'm going to be (even more) fearful of entering any red states, where this legislation is likely to be enacted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Bravo! Your best entry yet. But once again, as I have said, I've been drinking.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home